Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Review: Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

Hello everyone!
I recently finished rereading The Phantom of the Opera. I read this a couple of years ago, but it's one of my all-time favorite books, so I wanted to reread it to refresh my memory. 

Just to clarify, the book is way different from the movie. There are some things that cross over, but they're in a completely different order. The ending of the book is by far sadder than the movie. There are also a couple of characters in the book that aren't in the movie and they play a vital role in the story. 

My favorite character would have to be either the Phantom (Erik) for his cleverness or the Persian. The Persian knew Erik before he lived under the Opera House. He had actually saved the Phantom's life and thought the Phantom should keep him alive because he'd saved him. Erik was such a clever character. He has done many terrible things, such as killing a man, but he had his ways of dealing with humanity. One of my favorite scenes is when the new Opera House owners are sitting in Box 5 and Erik plays tricks on them. It was quite a funny scene. 

I think the book also does a better job of describing backstories of all the characters. Sadly, Madame Giry isn't a huge character in the book and doesn't have a history with the Phantom. Instead, the Persian knows all about the Phantom and why he does what he does. The book also describes Christine's story in more detail, especially about her father. I loved reading about the backstory of each character.

Overall, I gave this book 5/5 stars. It was very beautifully written and paints such vivid pictures in your mind as you read. It will always be one of my favorite books. If you love the movie, I highly recommend you read the book. It is totally worth your time. I think everyone should read it at least once their lifetime.

Thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderful day.
~Abby

2 comments:

  1. I have to read this. I was the one commenting on Goodreads when you were reading it. I have always wanted to read it, but never did. It's one of the books that I want to read and will push this one up on the list. Loved your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth the read. I love this book so much.

      Delete

I love reading comments, so feel free to leave one.