Thursday, March 21, 2019

Review: A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro

Hello everyone!
I've heard many good things about A Study in Charlotte so I thought I'd give it a try. It's a Sherlock Holmes retelling which I thought would be really interesting. It follows Charlotte Holmes who is the descendant of the original Holmes, and James Watson who is the descendant of the original Watson. It is told in Watson's POV following the tradition of the original books, but I'll get more into that later. In this book they're trying to solve a murder of the school bully which they are being framed for. That all sounds interesting, but the execution was poorly done.

I don't even know where to start. There were just so many things in this book I disliked. I did really enjoy reading about Holmes deducting everything about a person. When she meets James, she basically tells him his whole life story without him telling her one thing which is insane to me! But that was really the only thing I liked in this book.

The chapters in this book were very long for the very little amount of action or events that occurred in each one. This book dragged sooooo much and didn't maintain my attention for very long. There was very little action throughout the whole book. Also, Watson seemed to be there more for convenience than anything. He didn't really add anything to the story (in my opinion) besides being the descendant of Watson. 

Also, Holmes was addicted to drugs and hosted poker games. She was only a teenager and these things are treated as if they're normal and okay which was not fine with me. I understand why she did it, but at the same time it made me more detached from the story. They just did things that no teenager would normally do. 

So, based on all that, I ended up giving this book 1 out of 5 stars. I see why some people would enjoy it, but I personally really disliked this book. I feel like if the author had taken a different approach to this concept I would've enjoyed it a lot more. There are like three other books in this series, but I don't plan on continuing at all after reading this first book.

Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day.
~Abby

1 comment:

I love reading comments, so feel free to leave one.