Thursday, July 5, 2018

Review: Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Hello everyone!
I recently finished reading Across the Universe by Beth Revis. Across the Universe follows Amy and Elder and their discoveries on the ship Godspeed. Amy was cryo-frozen and woken up before they landed on the new planet earth. Elder was born and raised on Godspeed and was being prepped to become the new leader. They team up to discover the secrets that Eldest has been hiding and who is behind all the frozen people being unplugged.

First of all, I just want to say how this book sucked me in from the first chapter. I wanted to know how the story unfolded and didn't want to put the book down. Towards the middle is when I started to lose some of my interest. It seemed like the author was just prolonging the ending by adding a lot of unnecessary elements to the story. They may have a purpose for the rest of the series, but they didn't keep my interest. 

I thought that life on Godspeed was unlike anything I've read before. They were living on a ship that was set to autopilot. The people didn't even need to be on the ship in order for it to reach their destination, which brings up the question: why were they there in the first place? The answer that Eldest gave to this question caught me totally off guard, but it made sense. The way that the civilians treated Amy was very hostile. The people on this ship were monoethnicity, so they weren't used to anybody looking different. This book explored racism on a low level, but it is involved in the story.

I liked how the side characters are more complex than they seemed the first time you were introduced to them. Harley was one of my favorite characters in the book. He was so innocent and was a really good friend to both Amy and Elder. Orion intrigued me from the moment I met him, and I'm disappointed that I saw the twist coming that involved him. I wanted something to surprise me in this novel, but nothing really did. It was a very average read for me.

Overall, this book was a solid 3/5 stars for me. Nothing special stuck out to me in this novel besides the civilization on Godspeed. I really wanted to like this story. It had so much potential, but in the end, it just disappointed me. I don't know if I'll get to the sequels anytime soon, if at all. If you like science fiction novels about humans traveling to a new earth, you might enjoy this novel. I know a lot of people loved this book, but I just don't think it was for me.

Thanks for stopping by. Have a nice day.
~Abby

4 comments:

  1. I've never read this one - or any of Beth's books, but do know it's a popular book.

    Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland and for following its adventures, Abby. It's nice to meet you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried to read this book on several occasions. I never get past the first chapter. I am always sobbing!!! Something about that chapter leaves me crying every. sinlge. time. And I never get any further!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know a lot of people love this book but I've never gotten around to it. Glad you enjoyed overall. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking of revisiting this one for a while, after having fallen away the first time around. Sorry this one didn't quite work for you. I like generation ship type stories but I just think it was a little too slow moving for me or something? Not really sure, but maybe I'll try again one of these days...

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, so feel free to leave one.