Sunday, July 8, 2018

Review: The Assassin Game by Kirsty McKay

Hello everyone!
I recently finished reading The Assassin Game by Kirsty McKay. This book caught me by surprise, in a good way. It follows Cate as she is selected to play The Game at her school. It is a tradition and only a select few are chosen to play. The point of The Game is to not be "killed off" (they're pretend deaths) and discover who the killer is. Not far into the game, they discover that there is more than one killer. One of them seems to want to hurt them. Cate and her friends need to learn the truth before anyone else gets hurt.

This book was so good. I finished this book pretty much in one day. I couldn't put it down, and the writing was amazing. I've never read a book quite like this one. For me, I couldn't guess who the killers were, especially the one causing harm. Maybe I missed all the clues, but it didn't seem obvious to me until sometime later who the killer in The Game was. 

My favorite character was Vaughan. He seemed misunderstood by the other players and the only person who seemed to care was Cate. They became so close and I love their relationship. I also really liked Alex as a character. He was more complex than he appeared at first glance.

Overall, I rated this book 4/5 stars. I didn't love this book, but I did enjoy it a lot. I was not expecting it to be this good because all the two recent books I've read haven't been that great. If you like mystery novels, I recommend you check this one out. It is definitely worth your time.

Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day.
~Abby

4 comments:

  1. Oooh I really loved this book too! But I remember the plot twists didn't really 'get' me, so I pretty much guessed everything ahead of time. Of course, I read a ton of mysteries so maybe I'm getting good at guessing?? Lol. But I did enjoy it overall. It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Review! I may have to check this one out. I love a good mystery every now and again! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh this looks so good! And that cover is freaky. You just sold me on this one. I remember seeing it before and not paying a lot of attention, but I love the whole school game/ mystery thing. Definitely getting this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good Abby. I love the cover - it's different. I do love a good mystery. I am glad you enjoyed it. I know how it can be when you read a bunch of not so great books in a row. Happy reading!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, so feel free to leave one.