Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Review: The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

Hello everyone!
This week I finished reading The Cruel Prince by Holly Black. This book follows a girl named Jude who is forced to live in the land of Faerie from a young age. Her past is complicated and none of the faeries treat her fairly since she is a mortal. She has a twin sister and a sister who is a faerie. This story is all about her finding her place in Faerie and the prices she has to pay to get there.

Firstly, I just want to talk about the plot in general. I went into this book not knowing a whole lot of what it was about; I just knew it had faeries and I love reading faerie books. This book surprised me. I thought it would have lots of romance, but it was very much character driven and I loved it. There are elements of romance in this book, but it's not the main plot like most other books. There were so many twists and turns in this book that I would have never seen coming. This book caught me off guard, especially within the last hundred pages. 

Holly Black's writing was also so beautiful. This is the first book that I've read of hers, and I plan to read more from her. Each character had so much depth and a purpose to the story. I fell in love with this world and cannot wait for the second book in this series. The only character I didn't necessarily care for was Taryn, Jude's sister. She never seemed to stand up for Jude and only cared what Jude did when it involved Taryn. She seemed very self-important, but that didn't take away from my enjoyment of this novel.

Overall, I rated this book 5/5 stars. It was amazing and caught me off guard. I loved the characters and the story. All the plot twists surprised me and didn't see any of them coming beforehand. This book caused me to want to read any and all of Holly Black's books to see if they compare to the beauty of this novel. If you love books about faeries or books that are character driven, you'll really enjoy this book. Please go read this book if you have any desire to do so.

Thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderful day.
~Abby

5 comments:

  1. I have been seeing this book around everywhere! Thanks for the great review, I may have to buy it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the world Black created, and you're right... so many unexpected things happen! I did not see the ending coming at all, like... the thought didn't even cross my mind as a possibility. I hate the way the sisters were treated though, and their circumstances were... less than ideal. Happy you enjoyed this!

    L @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve seen this book around and it looks absolutely fantastic!! I love faerie books and the whole concept of it in fantasy so I think I would really love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! I'll have to add this one to my TBR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read most of Holly Black's books and I definitely agree, her writing is unique and very interesting. Although there has been so many differing opinions about The Cruel Prince, I haven't added it to my TBR yet.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, so feel free to leave one.