Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Review: Starstruck by Rachel Shukert

Hello everyone!
I recently finished reading Starstruck by Rachel Shukert. It follows Margaret Frobisher (aka Margo Sterling) as she is discovered by a movie studio. Margo has a rough time adjusting to her new life, especially since her parents want nothing to do with her now that she is an actress. The star Diana Chesterfield has gone missing, and Margo is replacing her in the upcoming film. Throughout the book, everyone is trying to discover where the lost star has disappeared to. 

Firstly, this book took me a long time to get into. The book didn't really pick up for me until it got closer to the end. That took away from my enjoyment. I also didn't really like how the perspectives kept changing. I would've appreciated it if the whole story was told from Margo's point of view versus three other girls and some random characters here and there. I also found this book to be a big cliche. I was expecting it to have a different take on Hollywood, but it was pretty much like any other book about movies/Hollywood that I've read.

My favorite character would have to have been Gabby. She had been at the studio longer than Margo and had struggles of her own. I kept finding myself wanting to know more about this character and her experiences trying to be noticed as a star. Her friendship with Margo was what I admired most about her. Even though Margo was meant to be the 'star', she treated her like a person and welcomed her into the studio.

Overall, I rated this book 2.5/5 stars. I just didn't really enjoy a lot of the story, and it moved too slowly for me. The middle to end of the book is not the time to start the story moving. If there was more Gabby, I may have enjoyed this book a little more. I wouldn't really recommend this book unless you really enjoy books about Hollywood.

Thanks for stopping by. Have an awesome day.
~Abby


1 comment:

  1. Such a shame, but great review! I haven't really read any Hollywood books yet, but I don't think I would like them.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, so feel free to leave one.